Jim Sánchez/ Conexión San Ángelo

SAN ANGELO –The San Angelo Lions Club has had in its storied history, nine of the nonprofit organizations established along the way since it began here locally in 1923.

Conexión San Ángelo sat down with current Southside Lions Club member, Mr. Frank Sedeño, one of the last charter members remaining from that club that began with its installation of 30 in February 1960. The first president elected was Dr. Paul Pichardo. Sedeño who himself was elected to the position eight years later in 1968, stated that the president could only serve one year. Board of directors included: a president, three vice presidents, treasurer, secretary, public relations and four board directors. The installation of these individuals was held in the Cotillion Room of the Cactus Hotel. 

Mr. Sedeño informed Conexión that while he has been inactive the past several years, due to his health, he had perfect attendance as he never missed any of the SSLC meetings during his 33 years of membership. 

Along the way, Sedeño was given various awards: Lion of the Year, 1967-1968, Outstanding Distinguished Service, June 2013, President's Appreciation Award, Certificate of Service and Certificate of Appreciation. 

Sedeño stated he plans to be at this year’s Southside Lions Club sponsored Cinco de Mayo 3-5 celebration. 

As for his fellow charter member Lions, in 1980 the majority of them showed up to celebrate their 20th 

anniversary on March 15, 1980. 

• Fred Arocha

• Ernest Boisse

• Roger R. Cuellar

• B.C. Dominguez

• Armando Figueroa

• Nick Galindo

• Sabino Garcia

• Raymond M. Holguin

• Conrad Lopez, Jr.

• Trine Lopez

• Ramon L. Losoya

• Frank Martinez, Sr.

• Miguel A. Mares

• Fr. Howard Meyer

• Ramon M. Nava

• Alex Padilla

• Gonzalo C. Perez

• Dr/ Paul A. Pichardo

• Raymond Ramirez

• Frank M. Sedeño

• Raymond E. Sendejas

• Sam R. Soto

• Henry V. Velez

• Pedro Velez

• Isidro F. Villarreal

• Jessie Zapata

Joyce Downie, historian and a member of the Concho Pearl Lions Club, gave Conexión the year each of the Lions Clubs was formed.

San Angelo Downtown Lions Club 1923

East Angelo Lions 1958

San Angelo Southside Lions March 29, 1960 

North by Northwest Lions Club 1972

Concho Pearl Lions Club 1992

Concho Valley law Enforcement Lions Club 2011

Lady Lions 2013

Angelo State Campus Lions Club 2015

San Angelo Lighthouse 

Follow us on Facebook!