Conexión San Ángelo/ ASU Sports Department contributor

Photo courtesy of Conexión 

SAN ANGELO - The Angelo State women's basketball team dropped a close matchup with No. 14 Fort Lewis 56-57 Friday, November 24, 2017 in the Stephens Arena at the Junell Center.

The Belles (1-1) held the lead for most of the fourth quarter, but Skyhawk layup and foul shot with less than 10 seconds to play gave them the one-point lead that won them the game.

"It was just a phenomenal game," Angelo State head women's basketball coach Renae Shippy said. "We got great performances from a lot of our players, both starters and off the bench, and I'm sure we can get better from here."

The Skyhawks got on the board first and scored six of the game's first weight points to build an early lead, but ASU quickly closed the gap. Madi Greenwood hit a jumper in the lane with just over five minutes left in the first quarter to give the Belles their first lead at 9-8.

Greenwood then hit a three-pointer two minutes later to increase the lead to 12-10. The senior would finish with 16 points and had three rebounds. She was one of three Belles to finished with double-digit points.  

Fort Lewis retook the lead just before the quarter ended on a three-pointer, but Angelo State stayed in striking distance, down just two points heading into the second period.

The Skyhawk stayed hot to start the second quarter, increasing their lead to 23-14 before senior Keanna Kelly hit a jumper to end the ASU drought. The Belles still struggled to shoot in the second quarter as Fort Lewis built a 10-point lead with just over five minutes left in the opening half.

The Belles found their shot, however, and scored the final seven points before the break, capped off by a three-pointer from Kelly with 24 seconds left in the half to bring the game to 26-23. Kelly also ended the game in the double-digits, scoring 11 an adding in five assists.

Fort Lewis again started hot in the third quarter, but sophomore forward De'Anira Moore kept the Belles in the game, scoring the first five ASU points of the second half. Moore had her first career double-double, scoring a team-high 17 points and pulling down 11 rebounds in the matchup.

ASU continued to trail, however, until the three-minute mark in the third quarter, when Dezirae Hampton grabbed an offensive rebound and kicked the ball to Greenwood, who calmly swished a three-pointer to tie the game at 34-all.

The Belles took their first lead of the second half on their next possession, as junior Kynese Davis drew a foul and hit one of the ensuing free throws for a 35-34 lead with just under three minutes left in the third quarter.

Davis' free throw was part of an 8-0 ASU run that put them out in front 39-34 before the Skyhawks ended their drought on a free throw. The Belles held onto the four-point lead until the end of the third quarter.

A fast break layup from Greenwood and a three-pointer from Hampton pushed the ASU lead out to six points early in the fourth quarter, but the Skyhawks continued to keep the game close with buckets of their own.

After going down by as many as in the final quarter, Fort Lewis pulled within three points with just 4:37 to play, forcing an Angelo State timeout. ASU got the first basket out of the timeout on another layup from Moore, but FLC kept the game close with a bucket of their own.

The Skyhawks eventually retook the lead in the final seconds, escaping the Stephens Arena at the Junell Center with a one-point victory.

The Belles will continue the ASU Thanksgiving Classic at 3:30 p.m. Saturday with a match-up against Oklahoma Christian in the Stephens Arena at the Junell Center.

Follow us on Facebook!